More Almshouses


And here are yet more almshouses!


St John's Almshouses, Lewis Lane 

Originally set up in 1702 by William and Rebecca George for six poor widows, with further endowments  provided by Thomas Powell and Mrs Rebecca Powell.  The present buildings were constructed in c.1835 and re-endowed in 1874 by William Lennox, 5th Early Bathurst in memory of his sister the Lady Georgina L.Bathurst.




Bridge's Almshouses

Originally endowed by Elizabeth Bridges (d.1620) wife of Humfry Bridges who gave six habitations for poor widows with 6s weekly. Moved from Dollar Street to Querns Lane in the 19th-century. Now administered with the St John's Almshouses.

 

Bowly's Almshouses, Watermoor Road

Eight almshouses erected in 1826 by Christopher Bowly; subsequently endowed in the 20th century by Sarah Adlum Bowly.  Preference is given to Members of the Society of Friends.