Oilseed Rape





Since last time I walked this way, the fields have turned yellow with the new oilseed rape crop.

I realised I knew nothing about oilseed rape, so I made it this Sunday's mission to find out more.


Here are ten oilseed rape facts:

    1. The word "rape" comes from the Latin word for turnip, rapa or rapum
    2. Oilseed rape is useful as a"break crop" in farm rotations as it keeps back the weeds
    3. Rape belongs to the Mustard family, Brassica. That person who informed me rape is "the same as mustard" is wrong:  oilseed rape is  Brassica napus, whereas  English powdered mustard is made from Brassica  juncea
    4. Rape seeds are 45% oil 
    5. Oilseed rape is the third leading source of vegetable oil after palm and soya.
    6. The oil is good for you as it is low in saturated fat and high in omega-3. 
    7. There is a growing market for "posh" rapeseed oils (especially in the Cotswolds!)
    8. Rapeseed meal, a byproduct of oil production, is used for animal feed.
    9.  Rapeseed oil is also used for biodiesel.
    10. Wood pigeons just love rape! (They eat the leaves.)   Rape crops have apparently made wood pigeons one of the commonest birds in the English countryside.