Romans checklist

https://www.aqiva.org.uk/

McWhirr

p.5-6: Two inscriptions. From Watermoor area close to Ermin Street.

Fort
Excavated in grounds of Leaholme, south of The Avenue. A rampart and several associated ditches.  Further observations in Chester Street led to tentative plan of the fort.  The area within the defences is about 1.8 hectares, just large enough for a cavalry unit of 500 men.
Other possible military remains:
1. Grounds of Watermoor Hospital (CDC?).  Gravel bank with turf cheeks, and an oven towards the rear.
2. Corner of Chesterton Lane and Watermoor road on a small plot of lands known as "The Sands". 12 metre length of rampart, consisting of a gravel bank with turf cheeks back and front on a gravel base.

The interpretation is that the ramparts belonged to annexes of the main fort.  The military cemetery which contained the inscribed tombsones was in line with The Sands rampart [raised garden on town side of Watermoor Bridge].

Fill from the fort ditch suggests military occupation lasted until the late 70s. [possibly as late as 85AD)  So was there for thirty years - probably policing surrounding area, including previous stronghold of the Dobunni at Bagendon.  Pulled out to leave thriving trading community.

Town

Laid out in last quarter of first century.  Line of Ermin Street was maintained but earlier military buildings did not influence grid of later town. Insula 1:  Basilica and Forum were the heart of the town. Basilica was 100 metres long, 24 metres wide.  Divided internally into a nave 10m wide with flanking aisles of5.5m.   The south-west end of the nave terminated in an apse.  Excavated by Cripps in 1898.  Imported marble veneer and mouldings of Purbeck marble.

Forum

Open courtyard or piazza 108m by 68m surrounded by