The Fleece



Here is the Fleece Hotel on Sunday.  I've only been in there once, for a meal I didn't much enjoy,  so I'm not too gutted it is closed.  There is a 17th century inn under there somewhere, but all I can find out is that Charles II took refuge there after the Battle of Worcester in 1651....[Hence the "1651 Restaurant"]

Alec Clifton-Taylor was suitable scathing about the exterior in Another Six English Towns (1984):



I don't think Sir Alec would have been too impressed by the new blue colour scheme!

The leftmost part of the Fleece was once another ancient hostelry called the Sun Inn.  Here it in an old photo on the Gloucestershire Pubs Wiki:


By the 1920s the Sun Inn had become the Garage of "Messrs. H. Tovey and Son".  It was still a garage in this photo from the Sixties:


Reference:
Cirencester's pubs on the  Cirencester Historical and Archeological Society website.

I see I desperately need Philip Griffith's book Cirencester Pubs Through Time (Amberley Publishing 2013) but am I going to weaken and imperil a deliveryman for something so frivolous?