This little building in London Road, now a yoga studio, was once the Roman Catholic chapel of the Immaculate Conception. The River Churn runs right alongside it.
I had visions of an 18th-century congregation, but of course a Catholic chapel couldn't really be that old. It actually dates from 1885 when the Cirencester Mission was founded from Fairford. It had quite a short life - the present Catholic church of St Peter replaced it in 1895.
As a commercial property, it seems to change hands frequently. A painted sign still visible on the side shows it must once have been a garage.The little terrace of old cottages next to the chapel are Grade II listed buildings. They look a bit dilapidated.
The cottage at the end used to be very well kept and often had elaborate vases of silk flowers in the window. One day before Christmas it was suddenly empty. I was sad and really unnerved: I am sure the person must have died or been packed off to a nursing home.
Reference:
British Listed Buildings: 6,8 and 10 London Road Cirencester

